Estimation of human heat loss in five Mediterranean regions

Bilgili M., ŞİMŞEK E., ŞAHİN B., Yasar A., Ozbek A.

PHYSIOLOGY & BEHAVIOR, vol.149, pp.61-68, 2015 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 149
  • Publication Date: 2015
  • Doi Number: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2015.05.027
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.61-68
  • Keywords: Environmental differences, Human body, Evaporative heat, Heat loss, Radiative and convective heat, COLD-AIR, TEMPERATURE, ENVIRONMENTS
  • Çukurova University Affiliated: Yes


This study investigates the effects of seasonal weather differences on the human body's heat losses in the Mediterranean region of Turkey. The provinces of Adana, Antakya, Osmaniye, Mersin and Antalya were chosen for the research, and monthly atmospheric temperatures, relative humidity, wind speed and atmospheric pressure data from 2007 were used. In all these provinces, radiative, convective and evaporative heat losses from the human body based on skin surface and respiration were analyzed from meteorological data by using the heat balance equation. According to the results, the rate of radiative, convective and evaporative heat losses from the human body varies considerably from season to season. In all the provinces, 90% of heat loss was caused by heat transfer from the skin, with the remaining 10% taking place through respiration. Furthermore, radiative and convective heat loss through the skin reached the highest values in the winter months at approximately between 110 and 140 W/m(2), with the lowest values coming in the summer months at roughly 30-50 W/m(2). (C) 2015 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.